Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Go Joe Go

Joe Torre is by far one of the greatest managers ever to grace baseball evident by his .600 playoff winning percentage, going to the playoffs 13 out of 26 seasons managing, 4 World Series, and a 114 win season. This great manager walked away from his home for many years the New York Yankees when he was offered a pitiful contract, an essential slap to the face, to manage the Yankees for one last season. To everyone’s surprise a rumors started circulating that the Los Angeles Dodgers are actually pursuing Torre to be their next manager (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3088105). I think that Joe should definitely give the Dodgers a shot. I believe that with Joe’s managerial skills he could turn the Dodgers into a contender and possibly even win a World Series in his first year there. I also think it is the kind of move that would be perfect fit for Joe. First off he does not have the media circus that is New York seeping down his throat every minute, the Dodgers have the talent and the leadership, money to add valuable players to the team (maybe even Mariano River and Jorge Posada, or g-d for bid A-rod), and he would have the whole backing of the organization including former Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda. Joe could manage any way he wanted with out having the owner or really anyone else breath down his back because the Dodgers have a great amount of respect as well as everyone else but the Yankees for Joe Torre. Plus the fact the Dodgers are reportedly willing to shell out about five million dollars a year for Joe to manage. I really think Joe should go to LA and just kick it and be the manager everyone knows as one of the greatest managers of all time.

6 comments:

Lavin1 said...

Matt - I agree that Joe Torre is a great coach. I am excited to see what he can do with the next team he manages. However, look at the team he has managed. He had an allstar lineup! People would go crazy if they had this lineup. I would like to see him manage a true team that needs help with the farm systems with calling up and sending other players down and choosing the correct lineup. I would like to see him at work at a true team who needs help. Joe is a greta manager and he has the stats to back him up. I won't bash him. I would just like to see what he can do with a team that honestly needs improvement. Torre deserves a salute for managing a great team! I really think that the fans will cheer him on if he ever comes to New York because he had a hell of a run! Way to go Joe!

Connor said...

Mark, I also agree that Torre is a great manager. He has enjoyed a lot of success with his tenure with the Yankees and I am sure that he will rebuild the Dodgers. They are in need of a good manager figure and they are getting a great one. One day Torre will go to the Hall of Fame as one of the greatest managers ever. Even though I always will recognize Torre as the Yankees manager I think he can do a lot of things for that Dodgers organization. The Yankees gave him a raw deal and I am happy that he was able to land on his feet. Now he has no pressure with the Dodgers and I think he will be better off. It was time for a change and he took the right opportunity.

Unknown said...

I agree with you in saying that Torre should give the Dodgers a chance because really he has nothing to lose. He has already proved he is a great manager with the Yankees, this job would just prove he can do it more then once. The Dodgers do have a good shot at being a contender if Torre were to come to the team, also like you said with a chance to add Rivera, Posada, and maybe even Rodriguez the Dodgers would be the team to beat in Torre's first year.

Goren said...

Mark it's not that I don't agree with you becuase I do i think it's time that he goes some where else. But I think he should take a year off. He just left his home for 14 years and i think he needs a break. Just like Bill Cohwer did after he Left the Steelers. He is taking a break and doing TV and then in the next couple of years he will get a head coaching job. Also i dont know if the Dodgers have the talent that the Yankees did. If you cant make it to the playoffs in the National league then you must not be that good. Joe Torre is a great manager and I can almost guarentee that he will take the Dodgers to the playoffs. But he was a Yankee and I can never root for him.

PHash said...

Yes I agree that the contract offered to Joe Torre was a terrible one. The man made that team a dynasty in the mid to late 90's and after a few years of not winning the World Series they do what? Offer him a horrible contract and a huge pay cut. I think the move to the Los Angeles Dodgers will be a great move for him. They have all the right pieces to become a playoff caliber team and I think that Joe will work some of his magic and take them pretty far into the postseason in a season or two. They have some young talent to mesh with some veterans which I think is a great thing for Torre to move to.

O'Brien said...

I agree with you about Torre. He's a great manager, but you need realize that his teams consisted of players that could all be voted into the all star game in any given year. So yes, I guess Torre made some good in-game decisions, but it helps when you have jeter's D at short, Rivera's clutch in the ninth, and clutch hits everywhere in the lineup. I'm calling it right now that Joe Torre will not win a World Series with the L.A. Dodgers unless they do a Yankees and shell out hundreds of millions of dollars for big name free agents.